For a period of 10 years, taxation related to IRS (personal income tax) on labour income in Portugal is at a fixed rate of 20%.
Taxation applies to income derived from high added value activities of a scientific, artistic or technical nature:
- architects, engineers and similar
- artists, actors and musicians
- doctors and dentists, teachers and psychologists
- liberal professions, technicians and similar
- investors, directors and managers, when part of companies covered by the contractual regime provided for in the Investment Tax Code.
No double taxation for pensions or for employment and self-employment income obtained abroad.
How can you acquire Non-Habitual Resident Status?
1- Having not been a resident in Portugal for the last 5 years;
2- Register at the local tax office as a tax resident in Portugal (to do so you must have remained in Portugal for more than 183 days, or having remained for less time, having, at 31st December of that year, a home in such conditions that would lead to the assumption that it is intended to be kept and occupied as your habitual residence, a rental house for example);
Registration as a Non-Habitual Resident confers the right to be taxed as such for a period of 10 years as from the year of registering as a tax resident in Portuguese territory.
For more information, please contact us.